WA02 - Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) Communication Studies
Communication is the foundation of human existence. We communicate as individuals, members of societies and organizations. In this era of information driven society, we are exposed to numerous sophisticated, and yet complex, channels of communication. This is parallel with the rapid increase in the world of communication particularly in the use of ICT on a global scale.
Communication Studies offers students both theory and practice in the field of communication which is very much grounded in social sciences. This specialization study offers courses which equip the students with the knowledge and competency in the fields of journalism, public relations, advertising and broadcasting. Hence, we aim to produce graduates who are “critical thinkers”, knowledgeable and have the right skills to meet the demands of the job market.
Programme Educational Objectives
The graduates of the programme are expected to:
- Have the expertise in the field of communication, or other related areas of profession.
- Able to apply the knowledge and skills to plan and execute effective, innovative, practical, professional and ethical communication programmes and strategies.
- Able to pursue life-long learning, including pursuing higher education or other professional or entrepreneurial endeavours.
- Able to demonstrate the credibility to lead in their chosen profession.
Programme Learning Outcomes
It is hoped that by the end of their studies, the students from this specialization programme are able to meet these learning outcomes:
- Acquire the theoretical amd knowledge in the field of media and communication.
- Acquire skills in writing, layout, planning and event management.
- Acquire effective writing, listening, speaking, interaction skills and able to execute them responsibly.
- Demonstrate critical and scientific thinking through observation and awareness regarding current issues.
- Display the ability to plan, execute and demonstrate leadership skills and teamwork in all endeavors.
- Seek and manage information skillfully with interest and ability for lifelong learning.
- Explore and implement entrepreneurial opportunities ceratively and innovatively, and
- Inculcate professionalism and ethics when communicating.