WA15 - Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) International Studies
International Studies introduces students to the formation of international system and relations between modern states since the Westphalia Agreement in 1648 through historical and theoretical frameworks. At the same time, this program examines the international system in the contemporary context that is increasingly complex with the emerging of actors and new challenges. As such, this program gives focuses on issues related to international laws, global economy, modern diplomacy, negotiation and conflict resolution, foreign policy, security and defence, and other contemporary issues. As a whole, this program, prepares students with theoretical and practical knowledge that need to be mastered by international relations’ practitioners like diplomats and international trade delegates.
Programme Educational Objectives
The graduates of the programme are expected to:
- Able to apply the knowledge in the field of international relations and show flexibility, coherence and be critical in discussing international issues.
- Able to conduct research to advance their academic career relating to the discipline of international relations.
- Able to critically analyse issues related to international relations and community.
- Able to participate in international dealing through their knowledge of international systems and global processes, cross-cultural negotiation and management as well as strategic and ethical leadership.
Programme Learning Outcomes
It is hoped that by the end of their studies, the students from this specialization programme are able to meet these learning outcomes:
- Explain theories, concepts and issues in International Studies.
- Apply research knowledge and subsequently produce academic writings related to the discipline of International Studies.
- Demonstrate professionalism and being ethical in carrying out task
- Demonstrate caring attitude and sensitivity towards issues and problem faced by the community.
- Demonstrate good communication skills, leadership, forbearance and credibility as well as the ability to work in a team.
- Demonstrate the ability to critically analyse issues related to international relations and community.
- Possess the desire to pursue a higher level of knowledge in their chosen fields through lifelong learning and possesses the ability to manage and use information effectively and responsibly.
- Explore and execute entrepreneurial opportunities creatively and productively.